Monday, November 28, 2011

Blog mania, part 3

This one’s a long one. Watching the Gregory Brother’s “Can’t Hug Every Cat” will probably suffice for all that I have to say.


In addition to everywhere else, I also went to Turkey. (I told you I would, remember?) It was definitely a cool place to visit, and it was kinda neat to know my grandparents had visited there on their last trip together. I could bore you with talk of amusing merchants, fascinating history, breath-taking views and gorgeous architecture, but I’ll just entertain you with the minute details of my personal life and bodily functioning instead. Just kidding, I’ll do both!


I really did like Istanbul. After travelling throughout other parts of Europe, it was nice to see this other side of it. Some parts reminded me a bit of other cities I’ve been to, but overall it was fairly different. For example, the Turkish everywhere. I only learned one word this time (su=water) but I enjoyed seeing signs that said things like “taksi” and “tramvay” (v’s are pronounced like w’s). The most striking things were the huge number of mosques (they were everywhere) and stray cats (also everywhere). I actually didn’t mind the calls to prayer, probably because they never woke me up at 5 am. They were kind of interesting to listen to, and added some setting and atmosphere to the trip. I must admit, though, that hearing three at the same time from nearby mosques was pretty overwhelming. It’s hard to explain what they sound like, so look it up if you’d like. Do it in the middle of the night, with the sound all the way up, next to your roommate’s head. He or she will love it for sure. I had heard a recording of a call to prayer before, so the sound wasn’t so weird to me as the regularity of the calls.

As for the cats, it was seriously crazy. Another girl and I attempted to measure the number of cats, approximating about 50-60 cph (cats per hour). In case you can’t tell, that’s a lot of cats. There were all pretty friendly and would jump on your lap to be pet. It would have been a nightmare/paradise for that girl who cries about cats in that eharmony video. You know the one. Well, ok maybe not, since you’re reading this instead of watching the Gregory Brothers like I recommended. Anyway, of particular note were all the kittens, sleeping cats, and a pregnant cat in Hagia Sophia. Cute, sad, and oh so cuddly.

My cold continued strong throughout the trip, and my portable pharmacy of six different types of medicine proved handy in caring for myself and other sick people (most of our group). I realized that I do not deal very well with conflict. I hate it, and yet feel powerless to aid in resolving conflicts between others. Some of the events that occurred over the course of the trip were kind of horrible in my opinion, but thankfully I was not directly involved in them. I wish I could explain all of the moments where I have been dumbfounded and wished that problems would simply disappear because I had no idea what to do otherwise. However, it was helpful, I think, to be able to observe the events, dynamics and individual people as well as my part in all that unfolded. By the end, I think I finally felt I was doing the right thing and in the position I wanted to be in, though I think what was important was not what I did per se but what I came to understand. I am still terrible at dealing with this stuff, but I had a fascinating look at people and how they act. I think God is teaching me a lot while studying abroad. In the end, things worked out and finished up nicely despite the chaos in the middle, which to me is a sign that God is working rather than my life turning to shambles or something. These things are certainly not pleasant experiences, but I’m coming out of it much more aware of matters concerning myself, others, and life in general. I’m also coming out of it slightly terrified to interact with others, but you know, that’s kind of normal anyway.


Enough melodrama; time for some lists.


Things I did:

  • Visited Asia (Istanbul has parts in Asia and in Europe)
  • Saw Hagia Sofia
  • Learned how to pronounce Hagia Sophia
  • Saw the Blue Mosque
  • Posed for a group photo shoot outside the Blue Mosque
  • Went to the Grand Bazaar
  • Loved the exchange rate (for once)
  • Went on a boat ride
  • Sung “I’m on a Boat”
  • Saw tons and tons of stray cats
  • Continuously sung, “Can’t Hug Every Cat”
  • Went to the Topkapi Museum
  • Learned how to properly wear a head scarf
  • And saw a few other mosques etc. whose names I do not recall (and I am too lazy to look up)

Things I ate:

  • Baklava
  • Turkish Delight
  • Turkish pizza
  • Kebabs

Things that merchants said:

  • Gorgeous, gorgeous. Yes, you are.
  • I am still single.
  • How can I help you spend your money?
  • I'm a good boy.
  • Hello baby. (said by some pre-teen boys. over and over again.)
  • My name is Christiano Renaldo. I love you.
  • Hi, how are you. I'm fine, thank you. (all together in a single breath)
  • I'll eat you. Run away.
  • Excuse me sir. (Said by a group of girls to a group of female students, after saying "excuse me" in Turkish a few times. It was for an interview for their English class. They were actually cute.)
  • I have a paschmina for your mother-in-law.
  • Mine is bigger, his is smaller.
  • Don't touch, please watch. But I touch.
  • This way is the right way.
  • You are so sweet. Your blue eyes. (said in passing)
  • Welcome to heaven.
  • Why do you break my heart?
  • Hello charming ladies, I am here.
  • Excuse me, you dropped something- my heart.
  • Belly dancing? Paschmina? Chicken kebab?
  • Spice girls!
  • Stop thinking so much, life's too short.
  • Tell her that she's beautiful. Ask.
  • guy: What's her name? (pointing)

Faria: Juli...

guy: I eat Juli here (points to heart)

  • guy 1: Excuse me, you have beautiful eyes. I like your eyes. Your eyes... (as I keep walking along)

guy 2: Marry him!

guy 3: Now it's my turn



30 second summary: I went to Istanbul. It was cool and stuff. I didn’t eat turkey, but I did see a lot of cats.


So many blogs done in a single day! Only one more and I’ll be caught up. So obviously I won’t be doing it for 4 weeks or so.



You really can’t hug them all. But you can try to pet them.



1 comment:

  1. i'm so using "you dropped something--my heart" when i get back to bucknell.

    ReplyDelete